You can see our GPs for a wide range of services, including recent illnesses, management of long term conditions, and medication reviews. We have dedicated clinics to look after patients with diabetes or asthma/COPD.

Minor Surgery

We have the facilities to perform minor surgical procedures under local anaesthetic. These include removal of cysts, moles, warts etc.

This should be discussed and arranged with your doctor during a normal surgery consultation.

Coronory Heart Disease

If you have suffered a problem with coronary heart disease (CHD) then we try to look after you as well as possible. We have a dedicated clinic where a senior nurse with special training in heart disease checks that you are doing well. The Practice checks regularly that our CHD patients are all on the correct medicine eg aspirin, that their cholesterol and blood pressure is well controlled and that they are encouraged not to smoke.

Non-NHS Examinations

Medical examinations can be provided for special purposes such as HGV, Taxi and Foster Medicals; elderly driver; pre-employment; fitness to undertake sports/travel; insurances etc. Please make a separate appointment for which the appropriate fee will be payable.

Sickness Certificates

You do not require a doctor’s sickness certificate for any illness lasting seven days or less. Your employer may however require you to complete a self-certification form (SC2) which is available from your employer or on the HMRC website. If you are sick for more than seven days, your employer can ask you to give them some form of medical evidence to support payment of SSP (statutory sick pay). It is up to your employer to decide whether you are incapable of work.

A medical certificate, now called a ‘Statement of Fitness for Work’ (see below) from your doctor is strong evidence that you are sick and would normally be accepted, unless there is evidence to prove otherwise. You could also provide evidence from someone who is not a medical practitioner, e.g. a dentist. Your employer will decide whether or not this evidence is acceptable. If your employer has any doubts, they may still ask for a medical certificate from your GP.

Statement of Fitness for Work - ‘Fit Note’

The ‘fit note’ was introduced on 6 April 2010. With your employer’s support, the note will help you return to work sooner by providing more information about the effects of your illness or injury. For more information see the DirectGov website (where this information was sourced).

Joint Injections

Injecting steroids into a painful joint can help ease pain and reduce swelling, for example from injury or arthritis. The steroids used for joint injections are similar to those produced naturally by your body. The mildest is hydrocortisone. Prednisolone, methylprednisolone and triamcinolone are stronger and have longer-lasting effects. Your pain relief can last for anything from one week to two months or longer, depending on the type of steroid you have injected. The injections can be repeated every three to four months with no more than three injections in one year. If your GP feels that you may benefit from a joint injection they will refer you to Dr Marlow who is trained to carry these out. This GP will carry out an assessment of your problem at the first appointment and will ask you to make a further appointment for the procedure. This service requires a referral by your GP.